Why every expecting couple needs a babymoon

by Kim on July 22, 2014

I’m having a vacation hangover.

Brent and I just got back from our long weekend in Door County, and all I want to do is reverse time and do the whole thing over again.

20140720_120756

The whole trip was perfect—great weather (sunny and 72!), great company (of course), and the perfect mix of activity and relaxation.

We got there Saturday afternoon, after chatting through most of the 3.5 hour car ride. (Making up Would You Rathers entertained us for an impressively long time.) We stayed at the same place we went to last time we were up there (4 years ago!), which was nice—we knew exactly what we were getting.

20140719_164403

View from the balcony:

20140719_164508

I’m a sucker for a good adirondack.

20140719_164459

Definitely did some reading both there and in the whirlpool. #heaven

We had a few hours to kill before dinner, so we hit the pool and batted that blue ball around like 8-year-olds. Good thing no one was in there to witness that.

20140719_174750

Later, at dinner, Brent got a very large rack of ribs and a very tiny plate.

20140719_202650

(Did no one ever order this? They seemed to have no idea how to actually accommodate the whole thing, haha.)

My fish tacos were way disappointing—but I think I might be kind of a fish taco snob…

The next morning, we got up with our top priority on the brain: FOOD. Breakfast was at this cute little café.

20140720_113504

We both got French toast and erm mah gerddd…

20140720_110905

We tried to walk through town afterwards to burn a little of it off, but all we did was run into shop after shop of fudge, popcorn, and ice cream…

20140720_120756

It didn’t help that the Door County Triathlon was going on that day, so we got to watch all the super fit people sprinting by while we ate our fudge on the sidewalk.

20140720_121501

Walking on the pier—but let’s pretend that’s a boating pic.

20140720_121356

Hello 35 week belly!

Next, we rented some bikes and did a 9-mile loop around the beautiful state park.

20140720_141538

Isn’t he a stud??

20140720_141509

Don’t let anyone tell you pregnant chicks have no balance. Biking was no sweat—I mean, except for all the sweat.

And don’t worry: there were several stops along the way.

20140720_144210

And several selfies.

20140720_144411

One of Door County’s claims to fame is its many markets, featuring their #1 local product: fresh sweet cherries. We stopped at three and sampled all kinds of jams, sauces, and salsas, walking out with a nice collection of goodies for us and our moms.

The rest of the afternoon was devoted to relaxation in the hotel room, which for me, meant this:

20140720_171632

I’m reading the sequel to Firefly Lane, one of my favorite books of all time.

For dinner, we decided to splurge and head to a 4-dollar-sign restaurant called Mission Grille—both because I was so disappointed with my dinner the night before, and because it was literally a 2 minute walk from our hotel.

And because…it’s vacation, right??

20140720_194426

I got the duck with cherry sauce and a quinoa/vegetable mix, and it was outrageously good.

20140720_201522

Brent’s steak with blue cheese was equally mind-blowing (but the picture wasn’t).

We ended our last night with a walk down to the marina. Ahh, to own a yacht…

20140720_205307

The next morning, we were eager to load up and get back to our little buddy, who had been hanging out with Grandma all weekend. We spent most of the ride home talking through these conversation starters for couples—cheesy, maybe, but they led to some great conversation and left us feeling really close!

When we got home, Mason went mute for about a half an hour—literally wouldn’t make a peep, and just laid there with his head on my shoulder. Ha!

We came home to a super nice surprise: my mom and brother (who had tagged along for the weekend) put our Craigslist crib together!

20140722_091803

They also set up the changing table AND cleaned all the nasty water stains off our microfiber couch (which, I know from experience, is a JOB).

All I need now is some bedding, some clean clothes from the stash in the basement, and some diapers, and we’re in business!

If anyone reading this is pregnant, with any number child, I highly recommend squeezing in a pre-baby spouses-only trip if you can. It was so nice to reconnect and get our relationship in a really good place before our world gets rocked by a new family member. It felt especially helpful this time, since we’re already parents—it was nice to get a reminder of who we are as a couple, separate from being parents.

Hope you had a great weekend!

Angie @ Pint of Goals July 26, 2014 at 2:14 pm

I loved Firefly Lane so much! I’ve recommended it to lots of people. How exciting that there’s a sequel – I’ll have to get my hands on that soon.
Looks like an awesome babymoon! My husband and I took one as well and had so much fun.
Angie @ Pint of Goals recently posted…From Conception to RealityMy Profile

Giselle July 23, 2014 at 11:40 pm

What a wonderful weekend! We didn’t really do a baby moon will definitely do one with the next one. When that happens… Bummer about your dinner. I HATE when that happens and tend to just fork out the moola these days to avoid a crappy meal. No fun especially when you can’t even drink wine to substitute for the good food!
Giselle recently posted…Chocolate Cherry Smoothie with About Time Protein PowderMy Profile

Claire July 23, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Glad you enjoyed your getaway, we did the same before baby #2… Good luck these last few weeks! :)

Heather @fitncookies July 23, 2014 at 7:45 am

What a fun getaway for you guys! Glad you had time for yourself before #2 gets here. I love the crib! What a steal on Craigslist. Also, Would You Rathers made our last vacation. We had so many fun ones!
Heather @fitncookies recently posted…Please, don’t call me “skinny”My Profile

Ashley Pitt @ A Lady Goes West July 22, 2014 at 8:58 pm

I love the idea of a babymoon. I don’t have any children yet, but my husband and I will definitely take the opportunity to getaway before we do. All the food you ate sounds delicious, and I totally am a fish taco snob as well.
Ashley Pitt @ A Lady Goes West recently posted…Is it better to work out in bare feet?My Profile

Kim July 23, 2014 at 6:56 am

Haha you would have hated the fish tacos I got! I never send things back at restaurants but this is one time I wish I had!

Nikki @ grab your kicks July 22, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Looks like a great trip! I love Door County! We went kayaking and visited a lot of wineries last year. It’s only a hour and a half from here so we’re planning another day trip there before the end of summer. I grew up going to Peninsula State Park and my family is from Bailey’s Harbor.
Nikki @ grab your kicks recently posted…Balancing Blogging and LifeMy Profile

Kim July 23, 2014 at 6:57 am

Oh awesome!! Yeah, it’s beautiful up there. Last time we went in the fall, and I definitely liked the summer better–it always feels a lot colder with the breeze coming off the lake.

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries July 22, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Ahhh I’m SO glad you guys had such a nice weekend! We didn’t do a babymoon when I was pregnant with Hunter, but I’ve decided it’s definitely happening the next time around. ;) And that cute little cafe you went to – it’s Julie’s, right?! One of my faves! We always rent bikes and ride the trails throughout the park. This post totally took me back to some of my favorite family vacations. I miss Door County!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted…Treating MyselfMy Profile

Kim July 23, 2014 at 6:59 am

Yes, that was Julie’s!! We kept noticing how kid-friendly Door County is (something we didn’t notice when we were there last time, pre-kiddo)–I could see it being great for family vacays!

Caroline @ The Little Things Blog July 22, 2014 at 2:58 pm

It sounds like you had a great time. I’ve only been to Door County once (maybe 20 years ago?), but I remember really enjoying it!
Caroline @ The Little Things Blog recently posted…Meeting my Running Idol…and My First Spectating Experience!My Profile

Kim July 23, 2014 at 6:59 am

It was a perfect retreat. :)

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate July 22, 2014 at 2:32 pm

How fun! Scott and I have been wanting to plan a trip to Door County together but I am kind of overwhelmed with all of the B&B and restaurant choices…I don’t know where to stay or where to eat! What area did you stay in?!
Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted…Bridal Shower Recap and the Sweetest GiftMy Profile

Kim July 23, 2014 at 7:04 am

We stayed at Birchwood Lodge in Sister Bay–it’s a little removed from the action (the “main towns” are Fish Creek and Egg Harbor), but we found that we could get a really nice room for less if we were willing to do a tiny bit more driving. And really, all the town are pretty close together anyway, so it was NBD. Plus, Sister Bay is the town with the restaurant that has goats on the roof (have you heard about that??). We’re not huge fans of B&Bs, so we haven’t really looked at any of those, but we’ve been super happy with Birchwood. I could give you tons of restaurant recommendations too! :) Let me know if ever plan a trip, I’d be happy to help!

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate July 23, 2014 at 4:32 pm

We’ve never stayed at a B&B, but were intrigued by all of the options in Door County so we thought it would be fun to try. Maybe we should just go the hotel route though?! We were looking in the Egg Harbor area but are up for anywhere, really! YES, I’ve heard of the goats on the roof-ha! Did you eat there? I heard they have good brunch. When we plan a trip, I will be sure to message you for suggestions :)
Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted…Bachelorette Party: 5 Favorite ThingsMy Profile

Kim July 24, 2014 at 10:03 am

We actually haven’t eaten at the goat place (the one time we tried, there was a SUPER long wait), but it’s fun/weird to see goats happily grazing on a roof top. :)