Yoga with Sweat Guru

by Kim on February 6, 2014

So I finally got to dig into my DVR and watch the Biggest Loser finale last night.

I’d already heard ALLLL about it (I’m sure you have too, by this point) so the shocking ending wasn’t quite so shocking, but it was still powerful to see it all go down.

In case you somehow avoided the news–say, if you’ve been on a week-long retreat in a remote convent in Nepal or something–Rachel won the season by dropping 60% of her body weight, weighing in at 105 pounds and looking pretty skeletal.

Rachel
I’m not going to dive into a full commentary about it, but it’s one of those media stirrings that it almost seems weird not to mention. So here I am, mentioning it.

As for my opinion: I’m disappointed in all the negative backlash against both Rachel and the show (to be fair, most of it’s directed at the show–namely, the producers and trainers). This was a competition, after all, and Rachel competed. I’d argue that there are other competitions–endurance events, CrossFit games, bodybuilding figure competitions–that are equally hard on the body to the point of “unhealthy,” but we just look at those people as committed athletes.

I don’t think we truly have grounds to worry about Rachel until we see what happens next. Personally, I have every confidence (and hope) that she’ll add a few pounds and “normalize” a little now that the competition’s over, just like every other contestant has. I definitely wouldn’t rule out the possibility that she’s replaced a food addiction with an exercise/food restriction addiction, but I think her post-competition behavior is the only real indicator for that.

As for the trainers, maybe they’re not perfect, but I think people are being too hard on them. I understand that they’re very intense with the contestants while they’re on the ranch, and some of their methods are extreme, but they weren’t even involved for the last three months, during Rachel’s most dramatic transformation.

I’m not saying the show’s flawless–I would like to see them cut out that 3-month at-home period pre-finale and incorporate some on-camera maintenance-mode training, for starters–but the extremity of the show, in general, is kind of the point. Not just for “good TV,” but because these contestants want and need a life-changing jolt, not a gentle, gradual weight loss plan. They need to see what they’re capable of and what their bodies can look like, in a big way. Yes, the marathon/triathlon business is pretty darn intense, but anyone who’s done those things knows what they do for your psyche and your confidence. (It’s huge.) And all the dehydration tactics, etc, I’ve read about aren’t good for general health but it’s a competition, and none of it is anything figure competitors haven’t done.

The big takeaway is that it’s all, by design and by necessity, temporary. No one is condoning these behaviors long-term. And the important part is what comes next.

Ok, I’ll cut myself off there. (So much for just “mentioning” it.)

Prior to the finale watching, I attended a yoga event hosted by Sweat Guru in conjunction with our local Athleta store.

20140205_173059
As you can see, the class happened in the mall…like, the very center of the mall, where all the branches meet and basically every single mall visitor has to go at some point. Not exactly the peaceful yoga studio with candles and nature sounds we all like to envision.

You’d think it would have been awkward, down-dogging in front of a bunch of gawking strangers for an hour, but it was surprisingly not bad. I was focusing so hard on keeping up with the flow (since I could barely hear the instructor) that I didn’t have brain space to worry about who could see my butt clearly on display in the middle of the mall. (I was on the outside of the pack, too–nowhere to hide!)

After the hour-long class (which was KILLER), we headed to the Athleta store for refreshments and schmoozing. (Er…I didn’t even know we had an Athleta store…apparently it just opened and/or maybe I’m finally getting a handle on my shopaholic issues?)

20140205_184309I got to hang out with Jamie from Sweat Guru, Kelly, and Emily.

20140205_184708
Of course we also eyeballed a little merchandise, like these:

x and o's

They might not look like much here, but they were really cute in person. Our instructor was wearing them during the yoga class, and I couldn’t stop staring at those little criss-crosses. (There‚Äôs also a matching tank!)

We all went home with some hot new Sweat Guru T-shirts and shades. Nice to get a free T-shirt I think I’ll actually wear!

20140205_204603
If you get a chance to attend a Sweat Guru event, DO IT!

(P.S. I’m SO SORE from that class. If someone stood in front of me right now and tried to argue that yoga is not a good workout, I might punch them. Except my arms are too sore.)

Afterwards, I made a beeline for home (as fast as you can “beeline” on nasty winter roads in Wisconsin…) hoping I’d get a chance to see my little buddy before bed. I got there just in time to read him a few books and tuck him in.

It’s funny…we have all these sweet truck books, with pull tabs and sounds and all the things toddlers go bonkers over, and he’s currently obsessed with this cute-but-cheesy old school rhyming book called I’m Thankful Each Day. (He requested it first thing this morning, too.) Ha!

Well, that’s it for me!

K

What do you think of the whole Biggest Loser controversy?

What are your current fitness gear cravings?

I’ve been drooling over almost everything at Albion Fit for awhile now. I enter every single blog giveaway I see for their stuff and never win–ha! So, so depressed…

Jamie February 27, 2014 at 10:51 pm

I agree that what’s next for Rachel is key. Hopefully her metabolism isn’t so low that she just gains a lot of the weight back.
Jamie recently posted…The Best Bodybuilding Tank TopsMy Profile

Alex @ Alex Runs For Food February 11, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Honestly I LOVE biggest loser and yes I was a little disappointed that Racheal took it to such an extreme but I guess for that cash prize I’m sure if I was in her shoes I would have done everything posible to win. I truly hope that she does gain back some weight so she is healthy. As for the trainers I don’t think it is at all their fault. They simple give the contestants the tools they need to get healthy. How the contestants use those tools is up to them.

I’m going to have to keep a look out for a sweat guru event in the twin cities!!

Larissa February 7, 2014 at 10:05 am

I’m not a BL watcher (I catch a few episodes here and there but my husband loathes reality TV and it’s not worth the complaining :-) ). I like your take, though. What really matters is what’s next for Rachel. It certainly seems like a dramatic and unhealthy change – but good lord that’s a lot of money they compete for! I’d be lying if I said I wouldn’t go to some extremes, too. And you’re totally right; figure competitions are just as crazy.

Anyway, the event looks so fun! I’m with you on Albion clothing. I won one of their Go Long shirts and liked it so much I bought a second. I really want a pair of the Go Long leggings.
Larissa recently posted…Resolution anxiety disorderMy Profile

Kim February 7, 2014 at 2:33 pm

I haven’t been watching BL regularly either but it’s fun to see the transformations at the end. And I totally agree–when 1/4 million bucks are on the line, that’s a recipe for extreme behavior. What did they expect? Really hoping she levels out a bit now that it’s all over.

So glad someone’s winning those Albion contests! Haha

char eats greens February 7, 2014 at 10:02 am

I think what you had to say about the BL finale was well-said! I think it is a matter of time until we find out if – like you said – it’s turned into an addiction, or perhaps, the pressure of the finale will alleviated some of what has caused her to go so far! I have opinions about it, mainly because I don’t watch the show, and I’m sure other people are going extremes in other areas, but they’re not in the spotlight!

Ok, I LOVE your boots in the pic (I think I’ve mentioned that before), and good for you for downward dogging it up in the centre of the mall. I can’t quite say that I’d be down with that!! haha
char eats greens recently posted…snow and sleep: my mortal enemiesMy Profile

Carrie February 6, 2014 at 7:21 pm

I did a yoga video Tuesday morning and woke up sore the next day! It is totally a great workout I want & need to do more often. Surprised about the BL reveal but like you hoping & assuming she may gain a tad bit if weight.
Carrie recently posted…Shopping Smarter & MoreMy Profile

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome February 6, 2014 at 4:52 pm

How fun you got to do yoga with Jamie! Isn’t she awesome! As are her yoga classes. She always plays rocking music and puts your through a great class! Love her! Ehh… I haven’t put much thought into the Biggest Loser controversy. I agree with you that people are being too hard on her and the trainers. Like you said they aren’t even with her the last three months which is why they looked so shocked when she came out. She may have taken it too far but we don’t know how she did that and for everyone to just assume she’s anorexic isn’t really fair to her. She would look better with a few pounds added back on though :-)
Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted…Munchkin Meals for an almost 3 year old!My Profile

mindy @ just a one girl revolution. February 6, 2014 at 4:29 pm

I said a lot of the same ideas regarding Rachel and BL on my blog today. I feel bad for the poor girl, with all the backlash she’s gotten!
mindy @ just a one girl revolution. recently posted…on The Biggest Loser: I don’t blame Rachel.My Profile

Katie February 6, 2014 at 3:18 pm

I’ve never been a fan of the biggest loser, so I’m hoping that with this backlash they’ll make some changes. I’m a big fan of sweatshirts with the turtle neck or cowl neck, and just found a really cute olympic one on nike. com can’t wait til it ships!
Katie recently posted…Swim Session 3: Practice and TriMy Profile